Happy New Year, Same Old Me
So, I’m about two weeks behind on my New Year’s Resolutions.
But was it just me or did December make kind of a whooshing noise before
evaporating altogether, never to be heard from again? I haven’t even had time
to write for my blog.
Unbelievably my pantry is still full of shortbread, fruit
mince pies, and assorted little nibbley things. This would mean ‘eating
healthier’ will not be going on my resolutions list. I had thought of limiting
myself to two cups of coffee per day, but that lasted as long as it takes to
drink two cups of coffee.
Resolutions:
Make SMART goals.
Look up old course notes to remember what the letters in
SMART stand for.
Aaaaand that’s all I’ve got so far.
What is it about the act of taking down one calendar and putting
up a shiny new one that makes you feel like you need to make major changes? Does
anyone wake up in the morning and think, “Well, it’s Tuesday the 9th
of March, I’d better start altering my life in significant ways.” After all, a
lot of change in life comes slowly, imperceptivity, and goes unnoticed by people
who see you every day. But big events, like fireworks and the clicking over of the
year, suddenly pull the big picture of our lives up in front of our faces. And too
few of us feel that it is exactly as it should be.
Change is scary. Change is hard. But it’s so good when it
happens for good – growing, improving, learning. These have been my goals for a
while now and not just on New Year’s but all year.
I know I’ve changed a lot. These past few years especially. I know
I needed to. And there are still so many changes I need to make. I need to
change. I feel such a deep need to make 2013 a better year than any year that
has come before.
Don’t we all?

I like to make plans and set goals to improve my self or my life on a pretty regular basis. I see the New Year as an external motivator to do so, but I think you should be ready to make those changes whenever the time is right. I set a lot of goals that I just forget about afterwards, but I'm sure it's good for me to at least try to try.
ReplyDelete